Tuesday, January 25, 2011

love dare. day 17. Love promotes intimacy

Prayer was easy for me today because Danny asked me too! hahaa He woke up and said "Will you pray for me today? I'm so stressed between school and having so little work.." I love that he knows I pray for him..many times he has said he felt them throughout the day..it feels like we are connected even while we are apart.. Day 12
He who covers an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.-proverbs 17:9
Is your marriage a safe haven to your spouse? Does your spouse trust that you have his or her back when trouble comes a calling?
" Marriage has unloaded another persons baggage into your life, and yours into theirs. Both of you have reason to feel embarrassed that this much has been revealed about you to another living soul. But this is your opportunity to wrap all this private information about them into a protective embrace of your love, and promise to be the one who can best help him or her deal with it."
"Some of these secrets may need correcting. Therefore, you can be an agent of healing and repair- not by lecturing and criticizing, but by listening in love and support.
"Some of these secrets need to be accepted. They are part of this person's make up and history. And though these issues may not be very pleasant to deal with, they always require a gentle touch."
Today's dare
Determine to guard your mate's secrets(unless they are a dangerous to them or to you) and to pray for them. Talk with your spouse and, resolve to demonstrate love in spite of these issues. Really listen to them when they share personal thoughts and struggles with you. Make them feel safe.
Questions for you:
  • How much of an effort is it for you to hold back from saying something, critical or otherwise?
  • What have you learned about your spouse today simply from listening?

God be with you! thanks for stopping by! love ya mean it! Stephanie

image/ country living/ book excerpts from the "love dare" by Alex and Stephen Kendrick


5 comments:

Out in the Fields said...

The prayer one was the easy one! Seems like I've been praying my heart out for this man for almost 30 years....And I know exactly what the 3 areas are too.

Unknown said...

The couple that prays together stays together. You are so right about not saying anything bad, so important. Thank you for your comment on my blog, I really appreciate your support. xoxo Connie

Lisa notes... said...

I'm not exactly sure how to carry about this one...definitely will be trying to listen more...

The "three prayers" fit in perfectly with what my family started on Jan 1. We each picked 3 things to pray about for each other through the year. It has blessed me for sure, and hopefully everybody else in the family too.

Out in the Fields said...

All I can say about #17 is oh shoot!

Dianna said...

I'm learning to keep quiet...and that is HARD for me...especially when I've often blundered in by being critical. 'Ya know, I have complained (sometimes to myself, sometimes to Carroll), "why don't you tell me what you are thinking?" And as a conscious effort of holding my tongue I'm beginning to realize that a LOT of the reason he wasn't telling me what he was thinking is because of my critical spirit at times. I'm a slow learner sometimes! By God's grace this is an area I definitely want to see an improvement in...my holding my tongue.

Thank you, Stephanie, for your commitment to doing this with us.